My streak continues, so handicapping the Tonys should definitely not be my day job. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time did get Tony attention and commendations I anticipated, including one for its superlative direction by Marianne Elliott. Likewise, I got it right when I predicted that LCT’s The King and I was the Best Musical Revival of 2015. For Kelli O’Hara, 6th time is the charm!
1. Christian Borle took one for the team.
- How long will Something Rotten! contine its reign at the St James?
- Was it wrong to wish this charmer of a musical would walk away with most of its 10 nods?
2. I labelled it “the new kid on the block,” but never thought this Broadway transfer would run away with so many of the big prizes, including for Best Musical of 2015.
- What is Fun Home?
- How many Tonys did Fun Home win?
- Answer to the answer: Didn’t you see it coming when Sam Gold won for Best Direction of a Musical, Lisa Kron got the Tony for the Best Book and Kron and Jeanine Tesori won for Best Lyrics and Music?
- Bonus #2: This win, for the Best Leading Actor in a Musical in Fun Home, is Michael Cerveris’s 2nd Tony. In which Roundabout production did Michael Cerveris win his first Tony?
3. Chita Rivera stars with Roger Rees in Kander & Ebb’s final collaboration, the adaptation of a wry Friedrich Dürrenmatt’s satire.
- What is The Visit?
- Can this dark musical win the hearts of Broadway audiences?
- Bonus #1: Is an City Center Encores! production in its future?
- 2nd Bonus: Will The Visit ever be a long-running Broadway staple, like say Kander & Ebb’s Chicago?
4. The Night They Invented Champagne is an anthem to celebratory cork popping.
- What is Gigi at the Neil Simon Theatre?
- Can putting its best foot forward, as the production of Gigi did on the Tony telecast, help this tuneful revival survive and perhaps thrive on Broadway?
5. A frequent contender for the Award, Kelli O’Hara had five nominations before her win for Best Leading Actress in a Musical on June 7, 2015, which was also a grand night for her co-star and the LCT production.
- What is The King and I at the Beaumont?
- Who is Ruthie Ann Miles?
6. Quirky and unusual themes were well-rewarded at the Tonys this year.
- What is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time?
- For which other recent production did Marianne Elliott win a Tony for Best Direction?
- Bonus answers: When did Alex Sharp, this year’s Best Leading Actor in a Play, graduate Julliard?
- Additional Bonus referencing “quirky-themed”: See Fun Home, #2 above
7. The broadcast on CBS on June 7, 2015 joyously showcased New York’s major creative industry: Broadway, it’s synonymous with NYC.
- What is the 69th Annual Tony Award television show?
- Who are Kristen Chenoweth and Alan Cumming?
8. Gene Kelly starred in the movie from which this original musical was created, and Christopher Wheeldon, who won the Best for his original choreography.
- What is An American in Paris?
- Is it destined for a long stay at the Palace?
9. In the end, it’s about the performances, the staging, the costumes, the content.
- What is your favorite Broadway show, now and for all time?
- How many of the current productions have you/will you see(n)?
**Jeopardy® is a trademark for a game show invented by Merv Griffin.